Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Statement


ayesha saeed : 2013
artist’s statement:

Possibilities are what I see around me and in the photographs I take. The repetition and the monotony around us have special moments and when I happen to stumble upon on any one of those moments then that space becomes a possibility for a photograph that I make.

It all started with epiphany I had at the Art Institute of Chicago with Dutch Modernist Theo Van Doesburg’spainting Counter Composition VIII.

The experience was so quiet, and so satisfying. I can only describe it as if I was suddenly liberated from some vast decimal system; a sense was granted that there’s more to what we see around us. I moved through space and deconstructed my habitual vision.

realized, that a square is a very important to me One of the reasons because it’s not biased. It gives each side of it an equal importance and contains a space that is secure, sacred and feels very much my own. Its like that I can create anything in that square and it will be safe. It is like a window for me to the space of that possibility that Idiscover. Like a stage where I can analyze, perform and experiment.

Visually, I have tended to be more of a micro- than a macro- person. I often get so immersed in a subject and magnify it so much that it becomes hard for me to look at it from a distance.

The possibility I find in a photograph is worked up to a level through various methods like collage, digital manipulation and video until I find it abstracted enough where it’s taking me somewhere.

The writings of Agnes Martin, introduced to me by a professor, really helped me to trust these strange-seemingintuitions, moments and to explore them.

I’ve come to understand my work as a process of actually refining awareness. It is about the quietness of the repetitive patterns of our daily lives. It has its unique rhythm which I hear everywhere around me. I see strange systems of chaos and order around me; the beauty of monotony, yet the complexity of it at the same time. The pieces seem to allow me to focus, but then again push me back again so I can see from a distance: the tension of micro and the macro.

No comments:

Post a Comment