Friday, March 22, 2013

-->
            My current body of work investigates the relationship I have with my eccentric, estranged grandparents.   Through narrative portraits and still life images of their belongings and rooms of their house, I attempt to understand my place in their world.  As an adult the dynamics of our relationship have changed drastically as we have developed class, cultural, political, and other opinionated differences that drive a wedge between us.  These clashing ideas result in terse discussions and greater distance between our phone calls and visits.  This displeasing disposition we’ve developed is one that I challenge to break through, wanting our differences to no longer come between us. In these photographs I document my lonely visits to their house, using my camera to bond with their belongings and push for more portraiture in order to better assimilate this division.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good statement for the body of work you've been doing. It is concise and allows me into your relationship without overstating differences, which could make the audience feel uncomfortable.

    I wish you would elaborate a little more on what you want to accomplish through these photographs, more specifically the longing you feel for pettiness to not make a difference anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a bit reshuffled:
    My current body of work investigates the relationship I have with my estranged grandparents. Through narrative portraits and still life images of their belongings and rooms of their house, I attempt to understand my place in their world, and vice versa.

    As an adult the dynamics of our relationship have changed drastically as we have developed class, cultural, political, and other differences that drive a wedge between us. These clashing ideas result in terse discussions and greater distance between our phone calls and visits. This opposition (a parable for many familial relationships) we’ve developed is one that I explore with the camera. In these photographs the belongings become surrogates for a relationship, the tension unresolved, the questions more looming.

    (this revised statement helps to avoid the proposition that the camera will solve the problem)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kayl here. This is a really good project statement, but if it should function as "artist statement" to describe your entire practice, (which is so difficult,) I think it may need something on how this personal experience and exploration can relate to other people. Your new works seem to be a great place to start a more general discussion.

    ReplyDelete