Tuesday, March 19, 2013

RMB Manifesta (500 words)

-->
RMB Manifesta

My various modes of being are impermanent, as they exist within overlapping communities, social constructs, and constant paradigm shifts. I seek to come to terms with these modes and a longing for a centered sense of being. The tools I use to transcend my displacement (i.e. computers, avatars, cameras) are directly linked to other people and multiple histories, thereby problematizing the complete autonomy the tools intend to evoke.

In my work as a photographer, performer, and cultural theorist, I mash-up familiar icons and personae, disorienting myself from a conventional experience to them as a passive consumer.  Engaging the visual language of mass media, I remove the environment, leaving only the represented body and the constructed image as the spaces to reconfigure the assumed signifiers of authenticity. I fight and clamor for the camera’s gaze in an intensely meticulous process that involves creating everything from a placeless, timeless stage.

Through still lifes of books, album covers, and other mass-produced objects, I attempt to repurpose visual metaphors for construction and identity manipulation.  The architectonic forms in the still lifes become collages that distort and complicate the narratives of those who attempted to subvert oppressive paradigms, only to be reabsorbed back into them. These narratives are vital to my process of creating my own mythology, not suffering through trends of cultural consumption but fostering an oppositional gaze. With each meticulously displayed gesture, I ritualize my privilege to move this way. Putting them on display in a white cube is simply never enough, and the challenge resides in figuring out what measure of resistance is the grain of radical potential.

Following this same focus in my performance and video work, I embody what I call a “contemporary freemason,” a culturally syncretic trickster who possesses skill in repurposing symbolic meaning.  Depicting multiple roles of jester, servant, master, and creator, the self-portraits and performances intentionally reassign modes of representation as sites of resistance and choice. There is a tension between constructed fantasies and self-reflection.

By exploring the overlap between the performed and the personal, I attempt to recover a sense of agency in my own representation.  I choose to be seen through a surreal multi-conscious lens or not at all; this emphasis on self-control will inevitably be challenged and therein lies its power.  I present the black female body as a conduit to empty, fill, freeze, animate, construct, and destruct culture, even while serving as a surface upon which to project mysterious desire.

No longer the subaltern or the abject, the intact black female body dominates as the vehicle through which the possibilities of self-determi­nation and multi-consciousness manifest. The dilemma of double-consciousness will be damned.


No comments:

Post a Comment